Tessa23

The Story Seeker

In search of the ultimate story, finding many good ones on my way. Take a look if you want to see what I found so far.

Dance of the Red Death

Dance of the Red Death - Bethany Griffin

*This review contains spoiler to the first book; Masque of the Red Death*

While the prequel and the extra (Glitter & Doom) left me very excited for this, the sequel didn't live up to my expectations.

The ending of the previous book finally introduced us with the red death, that's going to be the main subject to this book. A new plague was created and Araby is the only one who has the cure for it, unfortunately, it is not enough for everyone. She needs to find her father and make him reconsider his plan: to doom the city to the red death. Together with Will, Elliot, Kent and April she needs to: cure the city of both plagues, help Elliot defeat his uncle, Prospero and eliminate the crazy Malcontent and his men that are spreading the old disease through the city.

Sounds like there are a lot of things to do in only one book, right? Well, don't get your hopes up. Half of the book they just run from one place to the other searching for her father and everything gets resolved in the last 2 chapters of the book. Anyway, for such a rushed ending they sure took their time in the swamp and later in the city doing pretty much nothing.
No wonder [spoiler] April died. She got bored of waiting to be saved. About that, Araby's reaction when she found out was very weak. Oh, she died. *cry*...ok, let's get beck to my other things. [/spoiler]

The love triangle was weak and irritating. In the first book Araby's love for Will seemed genuine, it was the click of the entire story, but here she's just leading Elliot around not caring for anyone's feelings but her own. Also, besides becoming more selfish with each new chapter I saw no character developing in her. To short it up: it was not fun to read.

The prince's ball was the only thing that was still exciting, but the author interpretation of Poe's metaphors are way to literal. [spoiler]when her father is chasing Prospero dressed in the red deat.[/spoiler]

To be honest, it wasn't a bad book, but compared to the first one it was less enjoyable and it had a very rushed ending while the contents could have been a little more interesting.