Tessa23

The Story Seeker

In search of the ultimate story, finding many good ones on my way. Take a look if you want to see what I found so far.

For the absolute intorverts

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain

I think that when we strongly believe something we tend to acknowledged the research that prove out theories and dismiss the ones that don't.

This book is a very black and white sort of book, putting introverts in one place and extroverts in the other. Not only once during this book did I feel that extroverts where categorized as bad, while introverts as good. I know that wasn't the author's intention, but she did speak with a certain disdain about the extroverts.

Also, at the end of the book I realized I didn't fit as an extrovert or as an introvert, based on her description. I had parts from both sides. Which I think is logical since people are not one way or the other, but a mix of both types whit different dosage.

All in all, I don't think this author was very objective in her research done for this book. I think she tried to find strong points for introverts even where there weren't any. For example the fact that small classes are better than larger classes. That's true, but up to one point as Malcolm Gladwell so dutifully demonstrates in his book: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants. Based on that book and others I've read during my years I can claim that introverts do have good points that they can use in real life, but they do have to balance their qualities with a little of extroverted enthusiasm if they want to achieve anything.

All in all, it was not a bad book, but if you are a serious introvert, don't treat this book as a bible, it does have some good points, but not all of them are realistic or achievable.